Family Picture

Family Picture

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

PANDAS

We had Avery's appointment with the neurologist yesterday.

We got a lot of information-I wouldn't call it good news and I wouldn't call it bad news.

Here is what we learned:

Forgive me in advance for the lack of medical terms and the somewhat vague information I can muster together.

When we went the nurse practitioner started asking us about our history and Avery's history. She then told us that we were there because of the lab levels being high. This is where I should know more but I don't. I do know that normal range is Around 180 and Avery's levels were at 708.

I feel like my stomach immediately felt sick. I should know by now and all we went through with Sydney that when they send you to a specialist it is not just a precaution or to "rule something out". It is actually because something is abnormal. We were in the same medical offices we visited during my pregnancy with Sydney and I just wanted this women to cut to the chase.

We were told that Avery most likely does have PANDAS due to these levels but that she should outgrow it. The longer we keep her healthy the better that 708 number should get. We can't miss any illness- meaning if I think she isn't feeling well take her to the dr. At first instinct. Not to wait thinking she will feel better tomorrow which I never do! I have to ask for a throat culture- not just a swab at the office as sometimes those come off negative when they are infancy positive.

If Avery would have strep or an ear infection or something and we wouldn't know it -her numbers could go high again.

For the time being they haven't formally diagnosed Avery because the symptoms or tics have gone away but they said it is common for those things to come and go. Many things can come from PANDAS so I hope we stay on the mild side of things!

For now we just try to keep Avery healthy and hopefully not catch any other things -especially until her numbers get down. We have more lab work done in May and hopefully see her numbers decrease. We then go from there.

The doctor did say we had the option to preventatively treat Avery with penicillin and that penicillin work only really on the strep virus these days and that it would be safe. If we would do that Avery would need to be on it for a year. That is a long time!

For now Rusty and I have just decided to keep a close eye on her and try to keep her healthy and continue to watch her lab levels and hope for the best.

The neurologist did say Avery is one of the healthiest kids they have seen in their office and I hope to keep it that way.

Once again a rambling message that maybe only makes sense to me, but I promised an update:).

He was also pretty smitten with her blonde curls, dimples, smiles and sparkling eyes. He warned Rusty a couple if times of the trouble she will be in with the boys!:). Pretty cute!

Here is to hoping Spring is near and strep, cold and flu season are on their way out! I need one healthy girl in my life!

Love her to the moon and back!
Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers!

1 comment: