May Day
How many people know what May Day is? Is this just a fun thing that those of from small towns know about? It doesn’t seem like too many of my friends who grew up in outside of a small town ever did as a child! They missed out!
May Day occurs on May 1st. There is a whole history to it, but I just focus on the fun, social aspect of it. It is the leaving of small baskets of sweets and /or flowers/treats, usually left on neighbors’ doorsteps.
Growing up we would make May Day Baskets with cups and pipe cleaners and handles, use old toilet paper roll tubes and fill the inside with candy and wrap with pretty tissue paper and tie the ends shut with ribbon, the ideas are endless. Here are so pictures so you get the idea.
We would often take the baskets to our school friends, crushes, and neighbors, ring the doorbell and then run away. The person receiving the basket would try to catch the giver. If they caught you, they had to kiss you! J Just fun.
As we were flying home from vacation on Saturday (a post about vacation, soon to come..with pictures!) I was thinking I needed to run out and get the supplies to make May Day Baskets to drop off to the neighbors from Avery…that’ didn’t happen…but next year for sure! So look out neighbors!: ) Avery did get one from her cousins though! Very fun! Thanks Eli and Kolby!
I enjoyed this as a child, and I am loving that I get to experience all of these things as an adult through Avery. J




May Day is the best!!! We totally did it up! I was talking to my mom about it after work today. We used to make like 50 of those suckers to pass out...so.much.fun! I can't wait to do it again! :)
ReplyDelete