Family Picture

Family Picture

Friday, February 15, 2013

Avery-Sydenham's Chorea

Being a mom is many things and 99% of them can described with wonderful, loving and joyful words. There is one word however, that also describes part of what comes along with being a mom-WORRY. Whether your kid is 3 or 53 I am sure all moms worry about their kids.

This week this mom, yours truly, has been doing a lot of worrying.

On February 1st I took Avery to the Doctor and she had strep throat. She didn't have a very high temp-just an very icky throat. We started giving her antibiotics immediately and by the next day she was already feeling better!

Flash forward 7 days later and we are at a party for my Grandparents and I noticed her blinking a lot. At first I thought she was being a ham and being silly because there were a lot of people around. Then I noticed it was continuing. By Wednesday it was getting worse and these blinkings I had noticed were almost stronger and happening in little groupings. I also started to notice just a touch of a head jerk with them. They were very noticable spasm type of movements happening with her eyes and head. I could tell this wasn't something she was doing on purpose and not something she could control. As if I wasn't worried enough this had me holding back tears (and sometimes not-privately if course to not scare Avery).

I started researching these symptoms online. One should really not do that. It really made me worry more. It showed anything from toddlers forming tics, a possible Tourette's syndrome forming and a few other things.

I obviously love Avery regardless and no matter what! Without fail and without question! I also don't want her to face any virus, illness or issue that could be long term and affect her. People can cruel and my mind just goes to the worst case scenario. Also with the loss of one daughter already in my life, I am just super high strung about anything health and development related!

I called the Dr. Office on Wednesday afternoon and left a message for the nurse to call me back. The nurse called Thursday afternoon and I told her what I had noticed and our amazing pediatrician called us back Valentines late afternoon. He did some researching himself before he called me back and got us in this afternoon.

Today at the pediatrician they took a sample of her urine, checked her ears, throat, heart, belly etc. She was good on all those accounts. The took a blood sample which was heartbreaking in itself to watch. She said "please don't do this to me" But yet laid there perfectly still. The doctor also noticed these blinkings and head jerks while we were there. Here is what we learned:

The doctor believes Avery has Sydenham's Chorea. This is a continuum of the Strep virus. Who would have ever known a strep throat could cause these things. What I learned today is that when a child has strep throat and they need to take an antibiotic, it is not to "cure" the strep throat-it is actually to prevent the virus from causing other very harmful things to happen that the strep virus can create! Avery did have 10+days of antibiotic but it just didn't matter this time. What I also learned is that, IF Avery does has Sydenham's Chorea, most of the time it will go away. Maybe a week, maybe 6 weeks +. I am hoping it goes away sooner than later. It is hard to watch. I know it isn't hurting her, but it really makes a mama worry. Plus, I know if she is not doing it she is on the mend. AND more importantly, there is nothing more seriously wrong. We are not out of the woods yet. For the next 3 weeks I am to watch her very closely. If these movements only exist on the head or face, most likely we are ok. If I notice any jerks on her arms or legs etc. them we need to get into the doctor immediately again.

That could be something more serious called PANDAS. Feel free to google these things and freak yourself out like I did! I joke. (Although none of this is funny!). For now, I am trying to think positive that this will go away and not be PANDAS.

Regardless we have an appointment with a neurologist that Avery would need to see if this doesn't go away in 3 weeks or if it worsens. Our pediatrician said he will probably have us go even if it's gone to just get the sign off that she is ok or what to watch for. I guess that if Avery ever gets strep again the symptoms can get worse. I am hoping it is just gone and we can all have peace of mind and a healthy little girl!!
I guess I also want to add that this matter itself is not contagious. Strep is however, the antibiotic should have taken care of that!
Rambling mama with a lot of thoughts rolling around-sorry!

Hug your kids and say a prayer for mine!

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry for being a self centered lousy friend this week. Your daughter is a beautiful amazing little girl with 2 adoring strong wonderful parents and there is nothing in the world the 3 of you can't handle... and I hope with all of my heart and all that I am that this is a minor snag for you and though not fun, something that will be over soon. Thank goodness you know your daughter well and were paying attention, believe it or not, not all parents would have noticed the signs or acted so quickly. I wish our children could live in a bubble so that we could keep them safe, but since they can't, I'm glad Avery has you to be her bubble.. she couldn't ask for more and I know you will do all that you can. Thinking of all of you! Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very scary! Thinking of you guys and sending positive, healthy thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI, this is Kyle Tackett's wife! He had me read this and I can't believe how much this sounds EXACTLY like what we have been going through the last week!!! Our youngest (2.5) has been doing the blinking thing too! Last Friday night we were out to dinner where there were a lot of video games and I'm not sure if it was the lights or the stimulation but the blinks got way worse. I too have spent a lot of time on google, bad idea. We are waiting for our doctor to consult with other doctors before he will tell us the next steps! I like your diagnosis :) Hoping for the best for your little one! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried responding on Friday but it wouldn't let me??? from facebook. Anyway, so sorry to hear this about Avery. We are def. praying for HER and YOU guys :( I know she will recover!!!! Keep us posted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you and Avery! I'm sure she'll be better in no time! Sorry you have to go through all this worry - let me know if you need a friend, some wine and food... I gladly come chill with you and Aves!
    Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete